Start Submission Become a Reviewer

Reading: Accidental methyl salicylate poisoning in two adults

Download

A- A+
Alt. Display

Case Reports

Accidental methyl salicylate poisoning in two adults

Authors:

M.P. Seneviratne ,

National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, LK
X close

S. Karunarathne,

National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, LK
X close

A.H. de Alwis,

National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, LK
X close

A.H.N. Fernando,

National Hospital of Sri Lanka, Colombo, LK
X close

R. Fernando

University of Colombo, LK
About R.
Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine
X close

Abstract

Methyl salicylate (MS) is widely available as a component in many over-the-counter brands of ointments, lotions, liniments and medicated oils intended for topical application [1]. Among the most potent forms of methyl salicylate is oil of wintergreen (98% MS). Salicylate ointment has a very high concentration of MS. One teaspoon contains 7000 mg MS, equivalent to 90 baby aspirin tablets.We report two adults presenting with accidental MS poisoning. They were admitted with a bottle containing 98% MS, which they drank assuming it was ethanol.

Ceylon Medical Journal 2015; 60: 65

DOI: https://doi.org/10.4038/cmj.v60i2.8154
How to Cite: Seneviratne, M.P., Karunarathne, S., de Alwis, A.H., Fernando, A.H.N. and Fernando, R., 2015. Accidental methyl salicylate poisoning in two adults. Ceylon Medical Journal, 60(2), p.65. DOI: http://doi.org/10.4038/cmj.v60i2.8154
Published on 14 Jun 2015.
Peer Reviewed

Downloads

  • PDF (EN)

    comments powered by Disqus